Max Verstappen wins the French Grand Prix and wins a 7th time this season. The Red Bull driver took advantage of Charles Leclerc’s crash to get ahead of the two Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton (2nd) and George Russell (3rd).
Built at the instigation of the famous Paul Ricard, the Castellet route hosted Formula 1 for the first time in 1971. Located north of Toulon, the Var track is renowned for its asphalt clearings and rumble strips with a unique visual identity. On this 5.842 km long route made up of 15 bends , the teams often tend to favor top speed in order to be able to overtake at the start of the north chicane which intersects the famous Mistral straight line.
This French GP marks a symbolic milestone for Lewis Hamilton! The seven-time world champion prepared to compete in his 300th GP in Formula 1.
F1 – 2022 France Grand Prix: Last 10 laps Summary
- Tour 44: Toto Wolff motivates George Russell on the radio! The Mercedes Team Manager thinks his driver can overtake Pérez on the track.
- Lap 45: Carlos Sainz has just overtaken Lando Norris and is back up to 6th place. Next target Alonso!
- Lap 46: The Pérez/Russell battle continues to rage! The Mercedes driver is in the DRS window to attack the Mexican.
- Tour 47: Carlos Sains continues to climb the rankings! The Ferrari driver overtook Fernando Alonso for the second time in this GP and climbed to 5th place.
- Round 48: Yellow flag! Guanyu Zhou, victim of a mechanical problem, has just stopped his Alfa Romeo in turn 6.
- Lap 49: Virtual Safety Car! The drivers must slow down the time to evacuate the Chinese driver’s car.
- Round 50: Green flag! Excellent raise from George Russell who has just surprised Pérez! The two Mercedes are on the provisional podium.
- Round 51: Pérez is back on the attack! The Mexican is probably upset to have lost his position on the race restart.
- Last lap: Still 5.842 km to go for Max Verstappen in this GP before winning another victory this season!
- Checkered flag: VICTORY FOR MAX VERSTAPPEN! RED BULL VICTORY! The Dutchman is ahead of Lewis Hamilton and George Russell.
- Checkered flag: Outside the podium, Pérez finished in 4th position ahead of Sainz, Alonso, Norris, Ocon, Ricciardo and Stroll.
- Checkered flag: Max Verstappen therefore wins his 7th victory of the season and his 27th in his career. With this new triumph, the Dutchman increases his lead over Charles Leclerc to 63 points!
For the first time this season, Mercedes takes a double podium! With his performance of the day, Lewis Hamilton won an 186th podium in F1 on the day of his 300th GP. The seven-time world champion therefore has more podiums than Senna and Prost combined.